Why won't my hard drives spin down after idle period
5/05/2010 · You can save energy by letting the disks spin down. If they are 7200rpm disks they will use 6-9W when idling, or 0.5W when spinned down. But spinning down and up alot will wear the drive …... One of the more commonly encountered hard drive failure symptoms is when the hard drive does not spin-up after power is applied (that is to say that the data platters inside the drive are not being spun).
Windows 8 Hard Disks won't spin down windows - reddit
13/12/2018 · Windows won't let you specify separate spin down times for each drive and even then any time an app enumerates the drives in the system it'll almost always cause a spin up of all of them. Your best work around is probably to get an external enclosure and put it in there so you can hot unplug it when you're done with it.... 21/01/2010 · After Windows issued a spin down to the drive, it then (obviously) sent a shutdown to the RAID controller. The shutdown command to the RAID controller caused the controller itself to issue a few commands to the drives which spun them back up. After the RAID controller returned the shutdown command to Windows, windows finally powered down.
How to spin-down your HDD My Cloud - WD Community
It sounds like the laptops you've used don't spin down their drives unless there is zero user activity. My iBook is perfectly happy to shut down the drive and let me type away in an IRC client for a full hour without once trying to spin the drive back up. That's what I call intelligent power management software. how to get a job as an actuary 5/01/2011 · However you're not likely to see the OS drive actually spin down much since Windows always wants to keep touching various files on a regular basis. NoxTek , …
auto power down of external hard drives AnandTech Forums
I tried to set the option (shut down hard drives after x minutes) in Windows Power Manager but it does nothing. I managed to set an idle timer and spin down the HD using the HDDScan software, but the configuration is lost upon reboot. how to fix missing external drive 27/08/2010 · Windows 7 x64, just received an OCZ Agility 2, going to install it in an Acer Aspire 6930 with 2 hard drive bays (currently has a 320GB C: and 500GB E:).
How long can it take?
hard drive spin down using HBA? ServeTheHome and
- WD external hard drive spins down after several minutes of
- Hard Drives Spin Down Windows Secrets Lounge
- HDD won't spin down/sleep in Windows 10
- How To Everything! Why Some Hard Disks Won't Spin Down
How To Get Windows To Spin Down Hard Drives
One of the more commonly encountered hard drive failure symptoms is when the hard drive does not spin-up after power is applied (that is to say that the data platters inside the drive are not being spun).
- 2/11/2012 · Is there a way to add to the drop-down context menu in Windows Explorer an option to spin-down a given drive? For example, I'd like to be able to right click on drive X, and click on an option that says "Spin-down Drive Now".
- However, it doesn’t seem to work, because my hdd doesn’t spin down after the specified minutes of inactivity. (Waited for longer time after turning off all access to …
- 30/01/2017 · In short the approved Windows 10 drivers from version 14 and above have a bug that prevents the standard HDD spin down in Windows 10 from functioning. I have an Asus H97M-e motherboard and on the Asus website the official driver is 184.108.40.2061 and this prevents the drives from spinning down.
- 4/03/2010 · I have five Western Digital SE16 WD7500AAKS SATA drives, all of which spin-down at the prescribed interval with BSD, Linux, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Server 2003 -- but with Microsoft Windows 7 none of the drives will spin down regardless of the time interval set in …